Dayton VA Historic Grotto Rehabilitation

Thoughtful research and planning helped re-establish this civil war era feature as a destination for the VA campus.

The Historic Grotto Rehabilitation project restored function and visual appearance of the Grotto Springs located near the eastern edge of the Dayton VA campus which had fallen into disrepair since its original construction in 1868. Because of its designation as a Historic District, EDGE worked with the Ohio Historic Preservation Office to conduct research on the site and ensure that the integrity of the Grotto was preserved as part of the rehabilitation process. Work included replacement of stormwater piping and structures in order to return flow to its original path; Removal of dead trees and thinning of overgrown vegetation; Re-building of deteriorated wall sections and stone risers; Clearing/resurfacing of pathways and plaza; Cleaning/restoration to existing structures to maintain their originally historical appearance and structural integrity